Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 40 (2/9/11) - Metal Railings



So since we are not able to afford replacing the metal railing, it was time to paint it. It was originally black and then my in-laws had it painted off-whitesh. Well several years took their toll and they were getting a little chipped, so it was time to paint. I had in my mind what I wanted, but was having a hard time finding it. My amazing brother-in-law, Brett, is my guru when it comes to home improvement. I think he knows it all. If he doesn't, then it is something that doesn't need to be known. The end. He told me to use an oil based paint on metal. Apparently that is not so easy to find these days, but I did come across a Rustoleum product that would give me the bronzy look I was dreaming of. First off, it required a major amount of prep work. Secondly, true oil-based paint is of the devil. It is the hardest thing I have E-V-E-R worked with and made me want to cry several times during the extremely looooooong process. All in all though, the outcome was pretty cool. I like the look and got a kind of hammered, faux texture look without doing the whole faux process. Yeah for Brett and yeah for Rustoleum. (oh and p.s. the picture at top is the new color and the bottom picture is the 'before' shot.)

No comments: